The Mayor of London
The role of the Mayor of London
The Mayor of London sets the budget and is responsible for making London a better place for everyone who visits, lives or works in the city. The Mayor is elected every four years.
- Changing London for the better
- Setting the vision for London
- Setting budgets to realise his vision
- Working in partnership to improve the capital
- Championing London and Londoners
Changing London for the better
The Mayor wants London to be a ’city for all Londoners'.
His work includes:
- making it easier for people to move in and around the city
- improving London’s environment
- helping the capital’s businesses to thrive
- providing Londoners with more affordable housing
- giving young people in London more opportunities
Setting the vision for London
The Mayor sets an overall vision for London. He has a duty to create plans and policies for the capital covering:
- Arts & Culture
- Business & Economy
- Housing and Land
- Policing & Crime
- Young People
Other priorities for the Mayor include higher education, foreign Investment and attracting events and conferences to London.
Find out more about each of these priorities here.